Monday, September 29, 2008

A poem for my Baby Drew

Today is the day I expected you to be born
Yet today I expect to visit your grave.

Today is the day I prepared our nursery for
Yet today I begin to put away the those bittersweet memories.

Today is the day I longed for
Yet today I have dreaded.

Today is the day I expected to beg my doctor to induce labor
Yet today I will see him for a post-partum appointment.

Today is the day I expected to be most joyful
Yet today I am mostly sad.

Today is the day that I would likely celebrate your birthday
Yet today I remember your death.

Today is the day I've prepared for by buying you new clothes
Yet today they hang in the closet, painful reminders of what was supposed to be.

Today is the day I expected to share our home with visitors,
Yet today the house is painfully silent.

Today we were going to have our family picture made
Yet today there are none to be found.

Today was to begin all the tomorrows with you,
Yet all I think about are the yesterdays.

"With the Lord, one day is like a thousand years and a thousand years like one day."
II Peter 3:8
Yesterday my arms were empty
Tomorrow I will hold you.
Yesterday I missed you terribly
Tomorrow I will never be apart from you.
Yesterday was filled with pain
Tomorrow there will be no tears.
Yesterday our family was fragmented
Tomorrow our family will be whole again.
Yesterday we could not make sense of this tragedy
Tomorrow we will understand.
Yesterday we questioned God's goodness
Tomorrow we will worship Him together.
Yesterday you spent with Jesus
Tomorrow we will join you.
Baby, until tomorrow...

11 comments:

Faith said...

Oh Melanie, I can't imagine how difficult these words were to write. I know that things do not make sense right now and your heart is breaking. I pray that God will comfort you with His perfect love and peace and that each day He will supply you with the grace you need to make it through...especially today. I wish I could give you a big hug. I am praying for you, Melanie! Love, Faith

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for sharing so we can carry you in our prayers!
Much love, Cherith

Dawn :) said...

Mel-
Just the thought of you having to pen those words rips my heart right out. No one should have to live with the "should have beens".
I am praying for you and Jeff right this very minute. Press on, sweet lady, press on. Praise God, that joy comes in the morning (tomorrow). Love you, girl.

Unknown said...

I am praying for you!
Love,
alicia

Kim D. said...

Your words brought tears to my eyes. Thank you for sharing your heart. Allow God to hold you today, and keep looking to that "tomorrow" when there will be no tears, understanding, and when we will be forever with Jesus and our babies. Saying a special prayer for you tonight...

Anonymous said...

Melanie,
Loved your poem. Looking forward to that day! God bless you, baby!
Mom

Anonymous said...

Melanie,
I sit here in tears after reading your poem, it was amazingly beautiful. I am inspired by your faith & trust in our heavenly Father. You're truley amazing. I hope to meet you one day. But for now, please know there are lots of your Hallandale Frc family praying you thru.
Renee

Jean said...

Bless you, sweet Melanie. I pray God will snuggle you up in His blanket of comfort and blow kisses of joy into your weary face.

Blessings, little mama.

Jean
http://www.jeanmatthewhall.blogspot.com

Jean said...

Dear Melanie,

Please visit this post.
http://aholyexperience.com/

Blessings,
Jean

Anonymous said...

Thats is beautiful. Reminds me of the sermon ... It's friday but Sundays coming... Its so nice to know Sunday is coming.

Rob

Gloria Rodriguez said...

Melanie, I sit here and am in awe at how strong you are. The Lord surely is carrying you through ever so gently. I think of you and your family often and pray for you lots. Although we met briefly, I feel like I've know you a while. Thank you so much for being an encouragement...
xoxoxoxo
Gloria :o)