Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Dad's birthday is this week. Last year at this time, we were still in a bit of shock. This year, we just miss him so much! I didn't want to write a sad entry so I thought I would let it be a little lighthearted. These are just some memories that I have of my Dad. If any one wants to add on, just post a comment


Top Ten Memories of my Dad:
10. He always beat the local oldies radio guy, Eggman, in any contests that he had. Dad could answer any trivia questions about oldies music. He was insane.
9. He could not stand it when ever a referee would call a ball on a decent pitch or a net violation on me in softball and volleyball. He would sometimes almost get a little embarrassing. He also would sit behind the batter when I was pitching and yell for the batter to swing at terrible pitches. My teammates always got a kick out of this because the batter would think that it was their coach yelling at them and swing.
8. He hated to see any of his kids cry. He could not stand it.
7. I remember him always telling me that I was his favorite. I'M JUST KIDDING! Just checking to see if my sisters and brother are reading.
6. After a surgery a couple of years ago,while he was in recovery,he told me on the phone that Mom had just shot him with a bazooka. He was totally serious, He said he had to get a nurse to help. He also kept telling Mom that he wanted a steak for his dinner. Mom told him that they were having spaghetti instead. When they brought him his spaghetti, He took one bite out of it and said, "Man, this is the best steak I've ever had." I know that this sounds like we were making fun of him but when he got some of his memory back, he laughed hysterically at all of the things that he had said.
5. He knew everyone. I have never heard him say anything mean about anyone. He was loved by everyone.
4. Him and Mom always holding hands in the car. Sure, they had their arguments, but we as kids always felt secure in their love for each other. As kids, it was kind of embarrassing how they were but now it is just sweet memories.
3. Dad had a way for making each of us girls to feel beautiful and special. He would always whistle at us on Sundays when Mom would have us all dressed up. I remember one homecoming that I was getting ready for and my hair would not do anything, It was frizzy and puffy and terrible. I remember just wanting to not go and Dad told me that I looked great. The sad thing is that I believed him and went feeling beautiful. Those pictures from that night are dreadful! I cannot believe that I believed him. But, he just had a way of doing that.
2. Dad playing with the grand kids. He loved them all so much. We used to go over and see him and he would play with the kids the whole time. He let them play hide and go seek and let them help him walk the dogs. They loved it! Susanna carries a picture of him in her purse all of the time. We will always long for the day to see him again.
1. Dad's love for the Lord. Dad's life that he lived was a powerful testimony to his love for Jesus. He lived a life that many people knew that there was something different about him. It was genuine and it was real. Many people have told us what an impact he had on their lives. Even right before Dad died, he could not stay awake if he sat down to read his Bible, so Mom said he would be standing with his Bible on the bed reading and praying.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would have said almost every one of those too! Here's another: Dad was so easy going and laid back. I loved that Dad never met a stranger and he always liked everybody UNLESS you hurt one of his kids- then you could just forget about it- you were on his bad side forever! If he were here today and I said the name, Keith Vermillion, (he was the 1st guy to dump me- in 7th grade!), dad would say, "I never liked that kid." I love it!!! He was so loyal. Man, I miss him so much.

Anonymous said...

I just thought of another- dad always laughed at all my jokes and efforts to be funny. Either he was just being kind or we were always on the same page!
Now whenever I say something and you guys look at me like I'm crazy, I always think, "dad would have appreciated that."

Melanie said...

Holly,
Dad was just being nice when he laughed at your jokes. Oh yeah, I forgot about the whole Keith V. thing. He definitely wasn't a fan of his. I can also name a past boyfriend, too that Dad couldn' t forgive. He was so funny about that and any time that our old boyfriends found a new girlfriend Dad would say "Are they blind?" I loved that about him. It still makes me laugh.