Tuesday, January 9, 2007

Letter to Dad

Dear Dad,
This week marks the one year anniversary of your death. I hate to use that word. It sounds so terribly final. One of my favorite authors, Beth Moore, said in one of her books, that the reason death is so hard is because we were not created to have to endure it. We were created for eternity. I find comfort in that. Thank you Lord for the day that you will tear down the veil. Every time we sing at church or at home I almost always am brought to tears thinking of you doing it with our family. I know that you are. I can hardly believe it has been a year without you here. Susanna and Luke still both remember you and talk about you being in Heaven. You loved them all so much. I wish that you would have been able to see Elijah. The week before you left, Dad, you had told me how special Sam was to you. You said," Don't you worry about Sam, Mel. He's so special and I know that God has great plans for him. I know that you must have known that you were leaving soon. That conversation is one that I will never forget. You told me how lucky I was to have Jeff and how wonderful each one of us was. You always made us feel so special. Time might heal the sharp sting of pain but it doesn't take it away. I miss you, Dad! Your death has brought new life to our family. We all miss you so much and long for the day to be with you again.
Love you,
Melanie

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mel, When i read this i almost started crying. I felt like saying the same things that you did and i could tell the grief that you sill feel through the way you wrote. I miss Dad every day amnd still cant belive he is gone and we wont see him till we die. But he did make an impact on our family that all of us needed in our lives and would be empty with out. He would be so proud of you and holly for the way u are raising your kids. He would also say that he is amazed how chris and jeff take time to spend with their kids over sports now. I feel that dad taught us all that family is most imporant thing in life next to christ. Proud to call you my sis and my sis in christ, Kent

Melanie said...

Thanks Kent! I know Dad would be so proud of you as he already was. Love you bro, Melanie

Anonymous said...

Mel,
Your right about Dad. He is praising God and I think one of the things he is praising God for is the wonderful family he had. I know he was proud of you and if he can have a glimpse of your growth and the others he would be thrilled. I know we will see him again and he will be so proud of all his grandchildren the ones he held and the ones he didn't. I am proud of you too, all of you!