Thursday, August 30, 2007

Dirty Laundry

Our family went on vacation about 3 and a half weeks ago. Since I wanted to really enjoy the vacation, I did not do much laundry while we were there. Well, we came home with probably 10-12 loads of laundry. This includes beach towels, linens, crib sheets, bath towels, as well as clothes. Well, I have still not recovered. I have done about 5 loads of laundry a day since we have been home. At this very moment, there is probably 5 loads to do in all of the rooms' hampers. I cannot catch up. I do an extra load outside of the normal maintenance loads, and one of the kids will spill a gallon of milk on the floor. There goes another load of towels. Then, one will take off his diaper in the middle of the night(WHY?) and the cycle continues. I think that I am going to have to head to a laundromat so that I can put 10 loads in at a time and be done with it. But the bottom line is that it makes me realize that the more we clothes that we have, not only costs extra money but costs us alot of extra time. I feel the need for decluttering coming on. Every month or so, I go through all of the kids clothes or toys and get rid of the things that we can do without. Why? Because eventually all of the stuff that they have to enjoy eventually robs us of the time to play. And all of the stuff begins to control our lives. We will spend hours after hours cleaning it all up only to do it all over again and little or no time reading, playing outside, learning about God and just that time to really invest in their lives. This is something that God has spoken to me about lately. I yearn for a closer walk with Him. So, I do little things that I think are what He wants. Yet as I spend my time doing the work, I clutter my life up so much that I don't have the time to spend with Him. Before long, they very One I was trying to get closer to is further than ever. It's time to declutter my home and my priorities.

1 comment:

Astin said...

I cannot even imagine doing laundry for 6 people. I have a hard enough time trying to keep up with just me and my husband... although... with him... I am doing laundry for three... at least that is what it feels like.