Friday, November 2, 2007

My God

Jeff and I have been hearing a great series on prayer by Andy Stanley at Ridge Church. The main focus of the series is about when the disciples asked Jesus how to pray and He responded with this. He also said that God already knows our needs before we ask of Him. The first sermon was about how we address God and calling Him our Father or our God. Well, I have been thinking about the many times that I have been shocked when someone has taken the Lord's name in vain. While it is wrong to take those words and not really acknowledge Him, I am learning that there are times when those words can be used to call out to Him. I was always taught to never say the words, Oh My God. I hate even writing those words but I have learned that we can cry out those words when we are calling to Him. I was telling Jeff that I can remember two instances when I have said that. I was so shocked that the words came out of my mouth, yet that was all I could say at the time. The first time was when Sam was in the hospital and I thought that he was going to die. He was having such a hard time breathing and was connected to so many machines and monitors. The whole scene was so hard to bear seeing him there struggling to breathe and eat. I remember staying up so many nights just saying, Oh my God, Oh my God. His presence would soon surround me with comfort and I knew He had heard me. The other time was the night that my Dad had passed away. We had just gotten to Mom and Dad's and Dad was unconscious in the bathroom. Holly and Jeff did the CPR and everyone else was just crying those same words. The night was a horrible, horrible night. Everyone was just crying out to God. None of us had ever prayed that way before. At least I don't think. I just remember saying that phrase outside as I waited for the ambulance and the whole way to the Hospital. It was the only thing that I could say. No other words seemed to form in my mouth that day and the following days. I don't know how we have made it this far without Dad, but I believe that He did hear us that night when we said those three "forbidden" words and He has helped us all. His presence was never felt more or ever been so sweet as in the days after His death. I am learning that maybe what I say in my prayers or the length of them is not so important as is the acknowledgement of Him as My God and the One who is ultimately in control. I thought about my Saviour, when on the cross, in human form, cried out this. When we feel the most forsaken, we recognize so quickly the need to call out to Him, our Father.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

awesome post. thanks--i've been thinking on this all day.

holly

Anonymous said...

Melanie,
I remember that night as if it were yesterday. Calling out was all we could do. I think that is where the Holy Spirit prayed for us since we could not find the words ourselves.
Love you, Mom

Jean said...

How beautiful...

Jean
http://www.jeanmatthewhall.blogspot.com