Thursday, August 21, 2008


So many times I find myself wondering if I should take certain people meals or send a card when they are hurting. I do sometimes and other times, I convince myself that I don't know them well enough to send them something. And I was wrong for thinking that... Jeff and I have been so blessed by the words of comfort and encouragement that have been sent our way. The ones from the people that we don't know so well mean so much to us. Why? Because they prove to us over and over that God is moving on our behalf when we feel so down. It tells us that God still cares and He's going to help us through this. He's even moving strangers to pray for us. He is good...

I have to remind myself of that lately. I'll have to admit that it is a struggle to say that my God is good sometimes. I still don't understand why but I will know one day. I am certain. I am reminded in different ways everyday. Yesterday, I went to the Drs. to go over the findings of why Drew passed away. We found out that it was the cord that had kinked multiple times. It was a hard day. Yesterday, I doubted His goodness. I came home and began to write on my blog. Susanna, my oldest, came in the room, and saw me crying. She put her arms around me and told me that she loved me. Then, she asked me how many more days until Drew would have been born. You see, she used to check my blog everyday for the countdown that is on the side and would announce to all of us how much longer we had until he was here with us. When I showed her the number, she began to cry. We held each other and cried for the life that was lost. She knows he's in Heaven, but she was so anxious for a baby to be in the house again. And in that moment, I was reminded once again that He is good.

5 comments:

Kristin said...

Melanie ~

I think of you and your family often. I can't imagine the grief your are experiencing, but I know that our God is good. He is faithful. And He alone will bring to pass His purpose in your lives.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I've thought the same thing as you about reaching out to people who are grieving. I sometimes don't feel like I know them well enough. Now, because your words, I will reach out to those people.

debbieingrovecity said...

Just wanted you to know that you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. He is good...he is faithful...and someday, you will have all the answers.
Love and prayers....

paige said...

I'm so glad you can even type once that God is good! I can't imagine! I really have no idea what to say...I also wonder why couldn't God correct it??? I am so touched by your testimony and thankful that you have such an awesome family and community praying for you! Only the blood of Jesus and the love of our Father can heal this pain!! We love you and are praying hard for your family!

Erin said...

Oh, Melanie. I'm one of those on the other side, wondering if I should say or do something, knowing we don't know each other all that well, but still feeling such a deep sense of grief for your family, but I chickened out and didn't say anything. I feel like I just don't know the right words, but I guess any words are better than none. I am so sorry for your family's loss. So, so sorry.

Anonymous said...

Melanie, we continue to feel such grief for you and your family over such a devastating loss. Throughout this time, Suzanna has especially been heavy on my heart. I know how much she loves her brothers and was looking forward to having another sweet baby in the house. I have been praying that she would be able to process such miserable and painful circumstances, yet still know with certainty that our God is loving, merciful and full of compassion...a very difficult thing to process as an adult, much less a child. Your testimony is very powerful - in the midst of such grief, to hear you recognize and proclaim that He IS good.
- The Lord gives and the Lord takes away. Blessed be the name of the Lord!
We love you!