Monday, January 26, 2009

On my mind...

Something I'm learning...Don't ever use the excuse of being real or being relevant as a reason to not be holy. The Lord commands us to be holy because He is. We are to be imitators of Him and not of this world. I'm guilty of this. So many times, I will share with a friend or family member something I may be struggling with. Not for the purpose of repenting and changing. I just share it so they can tell me that they struggle with it also. I then give myself a little pat on the back for being real and I feel much better about myself. I think to myself, See, everyone struggles with it, even other GOOD Christians. We do this all of the time. Sometimes it's a TV show, our marriages, how we raise our children. We just compare ourselves to our friends, our pastors, our family. And it reassures us of our standing with God. This can be very dangerous. Soon, we look just like those around us but hardly resemble Jesus at all.

I Peter 1:15,16- "But as He which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation; Because it is written, be ye holy; for I am holy."

Something that's bothering me... I don't understand why everyone keeps saying how proud they are of our country for electing President Obama. I don't get it. Yes, we can say that racial barriers have been broken. I don't care if our President is red, yellow, black, or white...if He acknowledges Jesus as His Lord and seeks to serve Him, then I would be excited. We now have a president who will most likely separate our country more than ever. This time it will not be a racial separation, but a religious one. He has already signed multiple bills that will affect everyone all across the land. Why did he find it most important to make one of his very first priorities to fund abortions worldwide? I will always love this country, but I think that Christians will be in for a battle like we've never seen before.

Something I'm thinking about...I'd better quit writing because I'm going to get myself in trouble. :)

8 comments:

Kristin said...

Wow...Great points!! Very well thought out...now I need to go think! :)

Anonymous said...

AMEN and AMEN! Girl I am right there with you! I was taking the kids to school today and heard that song,"It's a slow fade" and I felt like that could not better sum up the times we are living in! I look around and listen to people, even Christians and I am SHOCKED at what I am seeing and hearing! I am a Christian FIRST, my race and political party come much later! Personally, I think almost everything about God and His nature is polar opposite to that of the "world" so if the "world" is flocking to it, that should be a neon sign that it is not of God or holy. We just want to justify it all in our minds, when we should be comparing ourselves and the standards by which we live to the Word and whats right, not what's relevant. I could go on and on...maybe I will post about your post! Thanks for your boldness! Love you and your precious family!

Faith said...

Very well said. So glad you shared...I need to hear this!

Gene and Becky said...

You said it girl. That is what is missing in most of the churches these days. We want to draw the lost in so we look and act like them. We were not called to make God "cool". We were called to be holy. Keep preaching it!

Anonymous said...

You said it girl. That is what is wrong with many of our churches. We are trying to draw in the lost, so we dress and act like them. We are trying to make God look "cool." We were not called to be "cool", but to be holy. Christ is the measuring stick. Preach it, Girl!

Christy said...

I can relate to BOTH of those topics - thanks for challenging me with the first one today!

Rachel Price said...

You should be a preacher, Melanie! :) Excellent thoughts! Thanks for the reminders!!

Amanda said...

AMEN!!!!!