Thursday, June 21, 2007

The Library

I love the library. The kids are always excited to get new books to read. We just don't make it there often enough. I remember my mom taking us there once a week and letting us pick out 3 books. When I was little, I always chose the books about holidays. If there was a book with a Christmas tree on it or an Easter bunny, it was mine. I remember when Mom let us get more than 3. I loved to read and 3 books was not quite cutting it. Now, I can see why she limited us. Last night, I made a run to the Library and paid off our late fees. If I had known how much I owed, I would have asked for some sort of installment plan. I can never get a system for picking up the books and returning them all on time. Not to mention finding them. Why do library books end up in the weirdest spots? I have found them in the deep,dark pits of the car, buried in the couch between the cushion and the frame, in the pantry, and in the kids' drawers. It is amazing how those books always hide. I have figured out that the library is not really your friend if you have little kids. It is impossible to go there and stay under radar. Somedays, when the kids are behaving well, we will make our way there. BUT...something always happens. One of the babies will cry because they are thirsty, the kids will loudly protest about my rule of only 1 book with a cartoon character in it, or we will drop our whole stack of books, or knock over a couple of videos. The Librarians will give us that look, and our stay will be over. I usually vow to never bring the kids back in with me. Yet, we still make attempts. One day, we will be that family that is quiet and stares at other people and their kids when they get noisy. Yes, one day, my kids will be quietly sitting and studying. One Day... But for now, I'll take this rowdy bunch over the quiet ones anyday. Well, most days.:)

No comments: